According to Wikipedia, a geographic information system (GIS) is a system designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present all types of spatial or geographical data. A GIS application, such as GeoMetrx, allows users to create interactive queries (user-created searches), analyze spatial information, and visually present the results. More importantly, from a sales perspective, it allows us to interpret this data to understand relationships, patterns, and trends.
Sales companies will use various data to reach different objectives.
GIS applications, such as GeoMetrx, pull various bits of evidence from many sources. The data is then interpreted and displayed visually on a map which then allows sales management greater decision-making power. Decisions on the deployment of sales personnel, marketing campaigns, and new locations can be more accurate in finding the best customers, thus saving a business time and money while increasing revenue.
Here are some broad constructs of typical applications of GIS in sales:
- Territory management – zip codes, school districts, specialty tax districts, city zoning, one-way vs. two-way roads
- Real estate (sales) – marketing by radius, recent comparable sales, sex offender geocoding (locating addresses), percent change in population
- Storefront Services – (ex, daycare) – site suitability (development), market share (metro statistical areas from the US census), demographics (US census and voter data)
- Planned communities – access to school, hospital, etc. (distance as a function of likely home-buyers), crime-mapping for security companies (download from City Police Dept.)
- Pharmaceutical sales – epidemiology mapping (migration patterns of illness), disease diffusion (incidents logged by the Center for Disease Control)
In all of these industries, the objective is to reach a consumer with an optimal set of characteristics.
Overlay Company Data
Combine these characteristics along with your company data (sales history, field team, distribution channels, etc.) and input into your GIS application. Overlay spatial data from the US census, as well as available economic and social data, for a clearer visual understanding of multiple data points. These powerful insights allow for better predictions and analysis.
For information on geographical mapping software, contact Geometrx at 888-848-4436.